Melbourne – 0 km
03 March 2016
Well, I had warned you, dear reader, the aforementioned list is a long one. You must keep in mind that it is more than 15 years old. It literally grew over all these years. … and I haven’t even mentioned the various bits & pieces I accessorised, but took off soon after as they did not fulfil my intended purpose. My motto always has been “form AND function” in almost equal amounts, slightly favouring the form factor.
The other issue about the bike, worth sharing is its mechanical state.
I do almost all my mechanical work myself. Equipped with plenty of curiousity and an itch to ‘open-up’ things and have a look inside, together with the comprehensive technical manual and an ever-increasing tool collection – I just like doing it. I guess this is another kind of ‘exploring & adventure’, albeit in a different paradigm. My ‘explorations’ have more often been successful in fixing a technical problem. I must confess, there also have been more ‘Burke&Wills’ like explorations: expensive, lengthy and unsuccessful. Fortunately they haven’t resulted in death, rather in consulting a proper mechanic, cap-in-hand.
So I’ve learnt about my boundaries of technical competence as a motorcycle mechanic – no “Zen” here for me.
As a result I kind-of know what I can do and what I can’t; think exchanging a clutch for example. So for some major milestones such as 20.000 kms or 50.000 or 75.000 or thereabouts I book the bike into a trustworthy and skilled mechanic (mention here Phil form K&R in Cheltenham, Melb) and let him do a once-over. He sees stuff being worn or in need of a fix, which – when I look at them – appear rather alright….
Well, these are the limits of my competence I have learnt to live with and find alternative solutions should I need to exceed them. By the way, a lesson for life …?
So, ‘Paul” ze bike, went to see Phil and got his long-overdue once-over. Most things were alright, but some replacements around the final drive were performed. The major change was to insert a grease nipple at the plug in the rear shaft drive.
I did the more pedestrian stuff:
- Exchange all fluids: oils, clutch, brake
- Clean, re-grease and prep the airlifter
- Check all-I-could-reach bolt & nuts torque-values
- Replaced the rear brake disc and all brake-pads. Here I took this opportunity to thoroughly clean all parts of the brake assembly to ensure its smooth functionality
- played around with the CAT-Code plug and various settings to prepare for low-octane Russian fuel
- tried some different spark-plugs to cope with poor quality petrol
- re-set the valve clearances.
So all that let me into considering which spare parts to take along, contingency management stuff. Weighing up pack-volume, availability abroad and could-I-fix-it I ended up on this selection:
- Clutch Friction plate – even if only I had bought it and hoped/hoped-not to make use of it – it’s complicated
- Oil and Fuel filter
- Brake pads front&rear
- Throttle cables
- bulbs, fused and wired connectors to activate the different CAT-Code settings
- collection of nuts & bolts
- Alternator belt
- Brake & Clutch Lever & nipples
- Indicator assembly
- piece of fuel hose and spare Quick-Disconnect with replacement O-rings
- Rubber plugs for Fuel-Injection and brake lines
- Oil sight glass – I have read about incidents when it popped out …
- Sump guard rubber mounts – they tend to rip off in rough conditions
- Front & rear tyre